Sunday, July 25, 2010

Feeling A Bit Domestic: Jamaican Curry Chicken


Last Friday I woke up wanting curry chicken, needless to say I did not get any. Saturday morning I woke up and said “That’s it, I will make curry for Sunday dinner!” Saturday evening me and the fam headed out to buy decorations for my auntie birthday and I picked up a few things to make the curry idea come to life.

Now, I must admit I’m no chef, don’t claim to be one, and for the life of me will never attend culinary school because I actually don’t think I have that type of talent. However, once in a while I feel like being domestic and fortunately I have wonderful family and friends that will let me experiment on them when I get these cravings.


Things You Will Need:

3-4 pounds of chicken (whole and cut up, I like the bones skinless chicken breast cut into bite size pieces)

1 small lemon

1 small lime

3 large garlic cloves

1 small onion or 2 green onions minced

¼ inch of ginger peeled and finely minced (ginger power will do just fine)

1 ½ tablespoon curry powder

1 teaspoon sugar

2 teaspoons of salt

2 tablespoons of olive oil (vegetable oil is fine)

2 cups of water

3-4 potatoes washed and cubed

*1 habanero pepper (only if you want a spicy dish)
*For a creamy or sweeter Indian/Thai taste you can add coconut milk instead of the water (I didn’t this time, because I wanted to try this; however, I love the texture and taste it gives)



DIRECTIONS:

1. Cut chicken into bite size pieces. If using a whole chicken cut into 1 ½ to 2 inch serving pieces. Squeeze the juice of the lemon and lime into a large bowl of water; wash the chicken pieces in the water and drain.

2. In a small bowl or large freezer bag mix the garlic, onions, and ginger; allow flavors to blend for 30 minutes or longer.

3. Mix curry powder, sugar, and salt. Rub spice mixture and garlic/onion mixture into the chicken. Place in a glass bowl; cover and allow to marinate for 1 hour or longer.

4. In a large skillet, brown chicken in hot oil over medium-high heat; until chicken “juice” runs clear. Add the water and potatoes. As soon as the liquid begins to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until chicken is cooked; 20-30 minutes. *if you are using the habanero pepper this is the time you will add the UNCUT pepper* Chicken should be tender and again juices should run clear.

5. Serves chicken over a bed of fluffy rice and broccoli…I use Jasmine rice with a bit of the lime peel for flavor and scent*


Enjoy and please let me know how this has turned out for you!

This recipe was given to me...so i take no credit for the ingredients or measurements use!


*I made this dish twice and both times it was GREAT! I will continue to use this one*

No comments: